Sunday, September 23, 2007
SANGITA ANKURAM '07

Ok I know almost every indian who has half a brain would stay away from these recitals.

And this vibe was VERY obvious when practically every other indian shunned from this recital, even the most rooted ones.

Why did I still go?

REASON ONE

Cause curiosity kills the cat? I had no reason to fear or detest or fear something which I I have no memory of right? I don't have any recollectable memory of going for such a show!

REASON TWO
These gorgeous babes....

Haha you'd probably think these woman would be worth the three hours show I sat through!

In case you'd have figured it out, to my left is Bhavani and to my right is Shivani pilla (yes This is probably you last chance to catch her in a SAREE till her wedding day!) from YI.

Woah they were good. They were really good, especially shivani who got to be kinda like the lead and had this really cool 2min solo at the start of her groups recital. The only thing that kept me in check was recalling her participation in YI choir. Guess she was just a singer all along.

These people have such a cool, quantifiable talent. They even teach Sangeetham (traditional Indian music) to the cutest little kids. How cool is that? I mean take a step back and think about whats your quantifiable talented how it is being used....

MY REVIEW

OK then... the show was like 3 hours long, which requires a good amount of patience to stay awake to. I did get through over 90% of the show I'd have to say, Thanks to the wind section of the chow coupled by a good amount of endurance attained from he army and my exposure to chess games in the past. See my experiences do come in useful?

But its still aroungd to focus on their skill and stuff for so long. And the music is not bad, but not great either. I can see why Sangeetham is 'dying' and is fighting so hard to survive. I can't see sangeetham fighting good cinema music like June Pona, Loosu Penna or Jillendru Oru Kadhall. These aren't really hip hop or rock, and have really good vocals in them. So why would people listen to sangeetham on their MP3's over these? So sad.

The loss its not unfair or anything, just that it is part of natural selection I guess? Maybe in the past where variety was less Sanggetham music had a shot. But now I really don;t see an angle. Or is it just that I have yet to hear a good piece?

Whatever the case the culture should still be preserved la, even if it requires affirmative action and stuff.



{V}ickNesh on 6:04 AM